Albert Tower & Ship 2 Pence Isle of Man Authentic Coin Money for Jewelry and Craft Making (Prince Albert) (Lookout) (Watchtower)
Albert Tower 2 Pence Isle of Man Authentic Coin Money for Jewelry and Craft Making (Prince Albert) (Lookout)
Reverse: Albert Tower. Ship sailing in distance. Two very small "Three Legs" Isle of Man symbols, at edges of design.
Lettering: ALBERT TOWER
Obverse: Bust of Queen Elizabeth II facing right wearing the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" Tiara
Lettering: ISLE OF MAN
The Albert Tower was built to commemorate the Royal Visit of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria in 1847. Prince Albert was rowed ashore at Ballure where he made his way up the glen. Then into Lhergy Frissel where he climbed to the top of the hill. There he viewed the surrounding town of Ramsey and the northern plan. The hill was renamed Albert Mount and a year later the foundation of the tower was laid. Made of granite and rising 45 feet high, the tower stands as a landmark not only for Ramsey but also for the Isle of Man.
Issuer Isle of Man
Queen Elizabeth II (1952-date)
Type Standard circulation coin
Value 2 Pence
0.02 = USD 0.027
Currency Pound (decimalized, 1971-date)
Composition Copper plated steel
Weight 7.12 g
Diameter 25.91 mm
Orientation Medal alignment ↑↑
Number N# 10200
References KM# 1254
The Albert Tower on the Isle of Man is a historic monument which is one of Isle of Man's Registered Buildings. It was registered on 27 January 2003 as number 214.
The 45 feet (14 m) high slate and granite tower was built in 1848 to commemorate the visit of Albert, Prince Consort to the spot in the previous year. It was used as a lookout in World War II and has been closed since.
The tower is located on Lhergy Frissell in the parish of Maughold, but only about 100 metres (330 ft) south of the boundary with Ramsey and overlooking the town of Ramsey. The base of the tower is at an altitude of about 130 metres (430 ft). The Tower Bends, an S-curve feature of the Snaefell Mountain Course is nearby and named for it.
It is a location visited by Albert, Prince Consort on 20 September 1847. In 1848 the monument/tower was built, the foundation stone being laid by Mrs Eden who was the wife of Robert Eden, 3rd Baron Auckland the Bishop of Sodor and Man. It was designed by George W. Buck and cost £300 to build.
During World War II it was used as a lookout tower by the Home Guard. After the war access to the tower was stopped because of the poor state of the staircase within the tower.
In 2005 a two pence coin was minted for the Isle of Man with an image of the tower on it.
The granite and marble blue slate tower is 45 feet (14 m) high. It bears an inscription saying "Erected on the spot where HRH. Prince Albert stood to view Ramsey and its neighbourhood during the visit of Hen Most Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria to Ramsey Bay, the 20th of September, 1847."
The flag of the Isle of Man or flag of Mann (Manx: brattagh Vannin) is a triskelion, composed of three armoured legs with golden spurs, upon a red background. It has been the official flag of Mann since 1 December 1932 and is based on the Manx coat of arms, which dates back to the 13th century.
The three legs are known in Manx as ny tree cassyn ("the three legs"). The triskelion is an ancient symbol, used by the Mycenaeans and the Lycians.
5 stars review from Anja