Archangel Gabriel in Annunciation at Church of St George & Byzantine Coin 50 Denari North Macedonia Authentic Banknote Money for Collage
Archangel Gabriel in Annunciation at Church of St George & Byzantine Folis Coin 50 Denari North Macedonia Authentic Banknote Money for Jewelry and Collage (Church of St Panteleimon)
Banknote Reverse: Archangel Gabriel, from the the Scene of the Annunciation, on the east wall of the Church of St George in Kurbinovo, on the Lake Prespa. This church dates from 1191.
Banknote Obverse: Picture of Byzantine copper coin of Emperor Anastasie I (491-518) -- at center right of banknote, also as watermark.
The monetary reform in 498 made by Emperor Anastasie I attempted to eliminate the inflation and monetary chaos in the eastern part of the Roman Empire. The uncontrolled minting of copper coins was replaced by introducing a new weight of copper folis of 9,10 grams, which is 72nd equal part of the copper pound. This copper folis with an "M" had a value of 50 numies.
Also, Banknote Obverse: Above and encircling the picture of the Byzantine coin, the decorative stucco arch from the south wall of the church of St.Panteleimon in Gorno Nerezi, Skopje. ...This is the frame for the fresco of St.Panteleimon, the patron of the church (built in 1164).
St. Panteleimon was a doctor, always presented with a scalpel and bottle of medicine in his hand, a protector of doctors and health.
Issuer North Macedonia.
Period Republic (1993-date)
Type Standard banknote
Value 50 Denari
50 MKD = USD 0.92
Currency Second denar (1993-date)
Size 143 × 70 mm
Number N# 208546
References P# 15
The Annunciation (from Latin annuntiatio), also referred to as the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Annunciation of Our Lady, or the Annunciation of the Lord, is the Christian celebration of the announcement by the angel Gabriel to Mary that she would conceive and bear a son through a virgin birth and become the mother of Jesus Christ, the Christian Messiah and Son of God, marking the Incarnation. Gabriel told Mary to name her son Jesus, meaning "YHWH is salvation".
According to Luke 1:26, the Annunciation occurred "in the sixth month" of Elizabeth's pregnancy with John the Baptist. Many Christians observe this event with the Feast of the Annunciation on 25 March, an approximation of the northern vernal equinox nine full months before Christmas, the ceremonial birthday of Jesus. The Annunciation is a key topic in Christian art in general, as well as in Marian art in the Catholic Church, having been especially prominent during the Middle Ages and Renaissance. A work of art depicting the Annunciation is sometimes itself called an Annunciation.
The Church of St. George (Macedonian: Црква Св. Ѓорѓи) is a 12th-century Macedonian Orthodox church located 2 km away from the village of Kurbinovo in North Macedonia. Excavations have shown that the building has once belonged to a settlement, which was abandoned at the end of the 18th century for the present-day village of Kurbinovo. According to the research made on the church's frescoes, it is supposed that the church was built in the year 1191 by the Byzantines. The church is a "monument of culture" in the Republic of North Macedonia and protected by law. It is also a part of the Prespa - Pelagonia diocese of the Macedonian Orthodox Church - Ohrid Archbishopric.
...The cycle of Christ in the register above starts at the triumphal arch with the Annunciation. Gabriel is constituted on the left side of the conch, Mary on its right. The sequence continues on the southern wall: Visitation, conversation between Mary and Elizabeth, Nativity, Presentation at the Temple, Baptism and Raising of Lazarus. The passion is introduced on the western wall by the Entry into Jerusalem, followed by the Transfiguration, which is normally depicted after the Baptism. Entry and Transfiguration are interrupted by the Dormition above the western entrance. The cycle follows up on the northern wall: Crucifixion, Descent from the Cross, Entombment, Women at the tomb and Harrowing of Hell. The series ends with the Ascension on the eastern gable zone. Its counterpart shows the Pentecost. Below is a depiction of the Theophany, using the full width of the wall. Two monumental icons of Christ and George facing each other are portrayed at the first elevation of the floor.
Painters and style
The frescoes in the church are considered one of the best known Byzantine paintings of the Macedonian Renaissance. It seems that at least three painters were responsible for the iconographic program, but their identities remain unknown. However a difference in their skills can be noticed. The ablest one portrayed the icons of Christ and George as well as the scenes on the upper eastern wall. The second artist painted the lateral walls, whereas the most ungifted created the illustrations on the western wall, the lower zone of the eastern and a part of the northern wall. It is assumed that local artists have participated in the project and that the masters decorated the church of the saints Cosmas and Damian in the not far away situated settlement Kastoria in 1180.
The style of the frescos is that of the last development phase of komnenian art, but small deviations of the regular strict symmetry can be registered in the church of Kurbinovo. More features of the painters become noticeable in the lengthened bodies and the blankness of the faces. Instead the restless drapery of the clothing is used to express the emotional life of the figures with exception of the most ungifted painter who shows the grief about the passing of the Mother of God openly on the faces of the participants.
The Church of Saint Panteleimon (Macedonian: Црква Свети Пантелеjмон, romanized: Crkva Sveti Pantelejmon) in Gorno Nerezi, North Macedonia, is a small 12th-century Byzantine church located in a monastery complex. The church and monastery are dedicated to St. Panteleimon, the patron saint of physicians. The church was constructed in 1164 as a foundation of Alexios Angelos, a son of Constantine Angelos. The church's stucco decoration is depicted on the obverse of the Macedonian 50 denari banknote.
The church has a domed cruciform core, three apses, and a rectangular narthex. It is built of irregular stone blocks and brick embedded in thick layers of mortar. The surrounding monastery complex is enclosed by walls.
The frescoes in the church are famous examples of Komnenian-era Byzantine art, depicting scenes from the Passion of Christ and various hagiographical illustrations.
The coloring, dramatic composition and purity of expression displayed in the frescoes are outstanding examples of Byzantine medieval monumental painting in the later 12th century.