Crane Loads Cargo Ship & AK-47 2.5 Meticais Mozambique Authentic Coin Money for Jewelry and Craft Making (Port of Maputo)
Crane Loading Cargo Ship & AK-47 2.5 Meticais Mozambique Authentic Coin Money for Jewelry and Craft Making (Port of Maputo)
Coat of Arms
Lettering: REPÚBLICA POPULAR DE MOÇAMBIQUE
Reverse: A berthed ship getting loaded with cargo at Port of Maputo.
Lettering: 2.5 METICAIS
Period People's Republic (1975-1990)
Type Standard circulation coin
Value 2.5 Meticais (2.5 MZM)
Currency Old metical (1980-2006)
Weight 1.9 g
Diameter 22.6 mm
Thickness 2.1 mm
Orientation Medal alignment ↑↑
Number N# 8073
References KM# 100
The Port of Maputo, also called the Maputo-Matola port complex, is a Mozambican port located in the cities of Maputo and Matola. They are installed in Maputo Bay, on the north bank of the Espírito Santo estuary, which is separated from the Mozambique Channel by the islands of Inhaca and Portugueses and by the Machangulo peninsula.
The port belongs to the Mozambican government, which is responsible for its administration through the public-private joint venture "Maputo Port Development Company" (MPDC). It is a partnership among the Mozambique Ports and Railways (CFM), Dubai-based DP World, and Grindrod Ltd, a South African holding company. The company was hired in 2003 by the government of Mozambique and functions as port operator and port authority, directing shipping, port maintenance, security, cargo terminal management, and future development planning. Major port operator Dubai Ports World has invested in the company and its 15‑year government concession.
The port is the terminal for three railway lines — Goba, Limpopo and Ressano Garcia — transporting products from South Africa, Eswatini and Zimbabwe. Another important flow link is via the N1 highway. It is a fundamental part of the logistics complexes of the "Maputo Corridor", the "Limpopo Corridor" and the "Libombo Corridor".
The foundation of the port, in 1544, was a fundamental element for the establishment of the city of Maputo. It received berth and quay structures only in 1850, when it became known as Port of Lourenço Marques and Port of Delagoa Bay.
The national emblem of Mozambique was adopted in 1990 in the Constitution of Mozambique article 194. The article clearly states the design and meaning of the device. It shows a gear wheel, bordered by corn stalks and sugarcane. In the middle there is a red sun over a map of Mozambique in green, and blue waves, an AK-47 crossed with a hoe, and a book. The wreath is tied with a ribbon bearing the name of the country. The emblem is "socialist heraldry" style similar to those of the Soviet republics.
As described in the Mozambican constitution article 194, the various parts of the emblem have a special symbolism, i.e.
the corn stalk and the sugar cane represent agricultural wealth
the cog wheel represents labor and industry
the book represents education
the hoe for "peasantry and agriculture production"
the AK-47, with a bayonet attached, for "defense and vigilance"
the red star represents the spirit of international solidarity of the Mozambican people".
the red sun symbolizes the building of a new life
From 1975-1982, the map of Mozambique was brown instead of green. Along with this change of colour, the position of the wreath was changed, the text was changed from black to gold, and a gold border was added around the red star.
In 1990, with the implementation of the new constitution, the name of the country was changed from República Popular de Moçambique to República de Moçambique, and the text on the emblem was changed accordingly.
Mozambique's parliamentary opposition would specifically like to see removed the image of the Kalashnikov assault rifle, which symbolizes the nation's struggle for independence, according to press reports.