Liberty Breaks Chains on Obelisk of Montevideo 200 Nuevos Pesos Uruguay Authentic Coin Money for Jewelry (1989) (Raging Revolutionary)
Liberty Breaks Chains on Obelisk of Montevideo 200 Nuevos Pesos Uruguay Authentic Coin Money for Jewelry and Craft Making (Obelisco a los Constituyentes de 1830) (1989) (Raging Revolutionary)
Liberty effigy -- detail of one of the three bronze statues at base of the 130-foot-high "Obelisco de los Constituyentes de 1830" - Obelisk to the participants of the General Assembly of the first Constitution. This entire monument was created in 1930 by José Luis Zorrilla de San Martín.
Lettering: REPUBLICA ORIENTAL DEL URUGUAY
Value on center, within laurel and olive wreath, tied on bottom with a bow; date above value.
Period Oriental Republic of Uruguay (1825-date)
Type Standard circulation coin
Value 200 Nuevos Pesos (200 UYN)
Currency Nuevo peso (1975-1993)
Weight 10.1 g
Diameter 26.7 mm
Thickness 2.25 mm
Orientation Medal alignment ↑↑
Number N# 4099
References KM# 97, Schön# 81
The Obelisk of Montevideo, officially listed as the "Obelisco a los Constituyentes de 1830", is a monument created by sculptor José Luis Zorrilla de San Martín (1891-1975). It is a three-sided obelisk made of granite, 41 metres (130 ft) tall with three bronze statues on its sides, representing "Law", "Liberty" and "Force". It has a hexagonal water fountain around it with six spheres on its outer circumference. It is located at the intersection of 18 de Julio and Artigas Boulevard avenues, in Montevideo, at the entrance of the Parque Batlle area. It was built in 1930 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first Constitution of Uruguay and is an homage to the participants of the General Assembly of the first Constitution.
Uruguay's first constitution was adopted in 1830, following the conclusion of the three-year-long Cisplatine War in which Argentina and Uruguay acted as a regional federation: the United Provinces of Río de la Plata. Sponsored by the United Kingdom, the 1828 Treaty of Montevideo built the foundations for a Uruguayan state and constitution.
When it became independent on August 25, 1825, the Oriental Republic of Uruguay (República Oriental del Uruguay) drew up its first constitution, which was promulgated on July 18, 1830. This text has been regarded as Uruguay's most technically perfect charter. Heavily influenced by the thinking of the French and American revolutions, it divided the government among the executive, legislative, and judicial powers and established Uruguay as a unitary republic with a centralized form of government. The bicameral General Assembly (Asamblea General) was empowered to elect a president with considerable powers to head the executive branch for a four-year term. The president was given control over all of his ministers of government and was empowered to make decisions with the agreement of at least one of the three ministers recognized by the 1830 constitution.
José Luis Zorrilla de San Martín (September 5, 1891 – May 24, 1975) was a Uruguayan sculptor and painter. One of the pivotal sculptors from Uruguay, his most significant impact was through the monuments he created in the capital city of Montevideo. His style displayed elements of aesthetic baroque incorporated with modern sculpture.
Born in Madrid in 1891, he was the son of the writer Juan Zorrilla de San Martín, who served in the court of Alfonso XIII as Ambassador of Uruguay. For three years he moved to Paris, where he met Carlos Federico Sáez and would prove a strong influence in his interest and artistic style later. He settled in Montevideo in 1898. His first oil painting portraits dating from 1906 show a great influence from Sáez. He studied at the Círculo de Bellas Artes with painter Vicente Puig, and later received lessons from the sculptor Philip Menini (1909). Between 1911 and 1914, his work was first exhibited.
Life in Europe
After receiving a scholarship from the Uruguayan government in 1914 to study in Munich, he had to stay in Florence due to the outbreak of World War I. He returned to Uruguay the following year and entered the Legislative Palace as an assistant sculptor. He won the International Competition to erect the monument Andalusia Gaucho (1922) and already married to Guma Muñoz del Campo, moved with their two daughters (Inés and Concepción) to Paris soon after, where he set up a workshop and studied under the sculptor Antoine Bourdelle.
Return to Uruguay
In 1925 he returned to Uruguay and the following year the monument was inaugurated. Work of years: a monument to the Battle of Sarandi (1930), decoration of the chapel of the Prison for Women (1930), equestrian statue of the Grito de Asencio (1936) and the Obelisk of Montevideo (Obelisco a los Constituyentes de 1830) (1936, sparkling granite 41 meters high with three allegorical bronze installed in the Parque José Batlle y Ordóñez de Montevideo).
He won the international competition for the equestrian monument to Argentine General Julio Roca (1937) and opened a workshop in Buenos Aires for its completion.
Between 1940 and 1961, Zorrilla was the Director of the National Museum of Visual Arts in Montevideo. He created a monument to Artigas in 1947 to be placed in the Banco de la República Oriental del Uruguay (unveiled in 1949). The Monument to Artigas, commissioned by the government of Argentina, was made in 1960, but its unveiling in Recoleta, Buenos Aires, was delayed until 1971.
He completed a monument to Artigas in Rome, and following its unveiling in 1966, was awarded the title of Commendatore by the government of Italy. Another statue, El Viejo Pancho, located in the Plaza de la Libertad de Montevideo street, dates from 1969.
The second of his five daughters became a famous actress in Argentine cinema: Concepción "China" Zorrilla.
He died in Montevideo at 84 years of age.
His workshop in Punta Carretas is a museum next to the Museo Zorrilla.