Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan V Abbasi & Tughra with Star and Crescent Bahawalpur Princely State Quarter Anna India Authentic Coin for Jewelry
Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan V Abbasi & Tughra with Star and Crescent Bahawalpur Princely State Quarter Anna India Authentic Coin Money for Jewelry and Craft Making
Obverse: Bust of Nawab Sadiq Mohammed Khan V left, legend in English surrounds, AD date below
Lettering: AL-HAJ SADIQ MOHAMMED V ABBASI
Reverse: Tughra with crescent & star.
Legend in Persian, AH date to left
Value, legend in English below
Scripts: Arabic, Latin
Translation: (AH) 1309
Issuer Princely state of Bahawalpur (India - Princely states)
Type Standard circulation coin
Year 1359 (1940)
Calendar Islamic (Hijri)
Value 1/4 Anna (1/64)
Weight 4.8 g
Diameter 25.3 mm
Orientation Medal alignment ↑↑
Number N# 13847
References Y# 13
Bahawalpur was a princely state, stretching along the southern bank of the Sutlej and Indus Rivers, with its capital city at Bahawalpur. The state was counted among the Rajputana states. The state was founded in 1802 by Nawab Mohammad Bahawal Khan II after the break up of the Durrani Empire. Nawab Mohammad Bahawal Khan III signed the state's first treaty with the British on 22 February 1833, guaranteeing the semi autonomous rule of the Nawab under British Raj.
General Nawab Sir Sadiq Muhammad Khan V Abbasi GCSI GCIE KCVO (Urdu: جنرل نواب صادق محمد خان عباسی) (29 born September 1904, in Derawar – died 24 May 1966, in London) was the Nawab, and later Amir, of Bahawalpur State from 1907 to 1966. He became the Nawab on the death of his father when he was only three years old. A Council of Regency, with Sir Rahim Bakhsh as its President, ruled on his behalf until 1924.
The Nawab served as an officer with the British Indian Army, fighting in the Third Afghan War (1919) and commanding forces in the Middle East during the Second World War. By 1947, its institutions consisted of departments run by trained civil servants; there was a Ministerial Cabinet headed by a Prime Minister; the State Bank was the Bank of Bahawalpur, with branches outside the State, including Karachi, Lahore ; there was a high court and lower courts; a trained police force and an army commanded by officers trained at the Royal Indian Military Academy at Dehra Doon. The Nawab had a keen interest in education, which was free till A level and the State’s Government provided scholarships of merit for higher education. In 1951, the Nawab donated 500 acres in Bahawalpur for the construction of Sadiq Public School. Nawab was known for his relationship with the Quaid-i-Azam (Muhammad Ali Jinnah), Founder of Pakistan.
In August 1947, on the withdrawal of British forces from the subcontinent, the Nawab decided not to accede his State at once to the new Dominion of Pakistan. However, on 3 October 1947, after some delay, he relented and became the first ruler of a princely state (Bahawalpur) to accede successfully. As tens of thousands of Muslim refugees flooded into the state from the new India, he set up the Ameer of Bahawalpur Refugee Relief and Rehabilitation Fund to provide for their relief. In 1953, the Ameer represented Pakistan at the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. In 1955 he signed an agreement with the Governor-General of Pakistan, Malik Ghulam Muhammad, under which Bahawalpur became part of the province of West Pakistan, with effect from 14 October 1955, and the Amir received a yearly privy purse of 32 lakhs of rupees, keeping his titles. The same year, he was promoted to the rank of General in the Pakistan Army. He died in 1966, aged 61.
A tughra (Ottoman Turkish: طغرا, romanized: tuğrâ) is a calligraphic monogram, seal or signature of a sultan that was affixed to all official documents and correspondence. It was also carved on his seal and stamped on the coins minted during his reign. Very elaborate decorated versions were created for important documents that were also works of art in the tradition of Ottoman illumination, such as the example of Suleiman the Magnificent in the gallery below.
The tughra was designed at the beginning of the sultan's reign and drawn by the court calligrapher or nişancı on written documents. The first tughra belonged to Orhan I (1284–1359), the second ruler of the Ottoman Empire and it evolved until it reached the classical form in the tughra of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent (1494–1566).
Tughras served a purpose similar to the cartouche in ancient Egypt or the Royal Cypher of British monarchs. Every Ottoman sultan had his own individual tughra.
Visual elements of a tughra
The tughra has a characteristic form, two loops on the left side, three vertical lines in the middle, stacked writing on the bottom and two extensions to the right. Each of these elements has a specific meaning, and together they make up the form that is easily recognizable as a tughra.
The name of the sultan is written out in the bottom section, called a sere. Depending on the period, this name can be as simple as Orhan, son of Osman in the first tughra in 1326. In later periods honorifics and prayers are also added to the name of the tughra holder and his father.
The loops to the left of the tughra are called beyze, from Arabic meaning egg. Some interpretations of tughra design claim that the beyzes are supposed to symbolize the two seas the sultans held sway over: the outer larger loop signifying the Mediterranean and the inner, smaller loop signifying the Black Sea.
The vertical lines on the top of the tughra are called tuğ, or flagstaff. The three tugs signify independence. The S-shaped lines crossing the tugs are called zülfe and they, together with the tops of the tugs that also look to the right, signify that the winds blow from the east to the west, the traditional movement of the Ottomans.
The lines to the right of the tughra are called hançer and signify a sword, symbol of power and might.